INTRUCTIONS FOR EMT CERTIFICATION REINSTATEMENT - SIX (6) TO TWELVE (12) MONTHS LAPSE
To reinstate certification as an EMT in the State of California by Sacramento County, the applicant must complete and submit the following:
- Go online at https://actonline.saccounty.net and apply. Online application instructions found here.
- Upload the following:
Pay the required fees.
- Expired EMT Certification issued in California.
- Successful completion of a twenty-four (24) hour refresher course from an approved EMT training program, and twelve (12) hours of continuing education, within the twenty-four (24) months prior to applying for renewal
(a) Thirty-six (36) hours of continuing education, within the twenty-four (24) months prior to applying for recertification/reinstatement, from an approved CE provider as outlined in the State of California Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 11.
- Skills competency verification form, EMSA-SCV (01/17), with original signatures (This form must be the current 01/17 version to be accepted after July 1, 2017). Obtain Skills Competency form here.
- Government issued photo identification
- Current CPR for the Healthcare Provider card or equivalent
- Supplemental Certification Application (if prior convictions) and all documents that pertain to prior conviction(s)
If assistance is needed with the online process, bring all documents in person to:
Sacramento County Emergency Medical Services Agency (SCEMSA)
9616 Micron Avenue, Suite 960
Sacramento, CA 95827
We will assist with online registration/application and uploading documents.
Cost for EMT Renewal/Reinstatement
- $48.00 SCEMSA application fee (Non-refundable).
- $37.00 State of California recertification fee for an EMT that has previously submitted to a Live Scan background check for the purpose of certification or recertification as an EMT with Sacramento County. (Non-refundable) or
- $75.00 State of California EMT Central Registry fee for an EMT that has not previously submitted to a Live Scan background check for the purpose of certification or recertification as an EMT with Sacramento County. (Non-refundable)
- $30.00 Late fee (within 30 days of expiration)
- $30.00 Expedited Processing fee (if requested)
Fees may be paid by credit card online or with exact cash at the SCEMSA office.