Sacramento County Vital Records Office issues birth certificates for newborns, infants, and children for the most recent two calendar years. It is required by California law that the hospital where a birth occurs submits the information for the birth certificate to be registered to our office within 10 calendar days of the event. You may call our office to verify that the birth certificate is available. If your newborn's birth certificate has not been registered within 10 days of birth, please contact your hospital's birth clerk to inquire about the status.
Links to Applications for Ordering Birth Records
Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (single birth)
Certified Copy of Birth Certificate for Multiple Birth (twins, triplets etc.)
Government Agency Copy of Birth Certificate (not for personal use)
When ordering in person, an authorized individual must complete an approved application including a sworn statement under penalty of perjury to receive an authorized certified copy. A notarized statement sworn under penalty of perjury must accompany orders sent by mail to ensure that the requester is an authorized person.
Authorized Certified Copies vs. Informational Certified Copies
California law defines individuals who can obtain an authorized certified copy of a birth certificate as:
- The registrant (person listed on the certificate) or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, brother or sister, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the California Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business. (Companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency.)
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate.
- Any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate. (If you are requesting a Certified Copy under a power of attorney, please include a copy of the power of attorney with the application form.)
- Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and scope of his or her employment and who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of an individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.
If you cannot obtain an authorized copy under California law, you can obtain an informational copy. An informational copy contains the same information as an authorized copy, but will have a legend across the face with the statement "Informational, Not a Valid Document to Establish Identity." Authorized and informational copies are both “certified copies" and are the same cost.
Birth Certificates for Adults or Older Children
Birth certificates for births occurring in Sacramento County prior to the most recent two calendar years can either be obtained from the County Clerk Recorder's Office or the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Office of Vital Records.
Birth Certificates for Out-of-County Births
Birth certificates for births in another California County can be obtained by contact the local health jurisdiction where the birth occurred or the CDPH Office of Vital Records. Please refer to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for information on obtaining birth certificates for births occurring in another State or outside the United States.
Sacramento County Vital Records
7001 A East Parkway Suite 650
Sacramento, CA 95823 |
Telephone: (916) 875-5345
Hours of Operation
Regular Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Closures: Our office is closed on . We close early at 3:00 pm on the workdays before December 25th and December 31st and on four additional Fridays for staff development and training. Please call our office to verify office hours.
Please note that our office accepts cash or check only.
Certified Birth Certificate $28.00
Government Birth Certificate $19.00
Certified Death Certificate $21.00
Government Death Certificate $21.00
Certified Fetal Death Certificate $18.00
Disposition Permit $12.00
Cross-File Permit $16.00