Initial Certification: If the applicant is applying for certification for the first time, the following must be uploaded:
- Evidence of a valid and current license as a Registered Nurse in California.
- Evidence of a valid and current ACLS card according to the standard of the AHA.
- Evidence of a valid and current PALS card according to the standard of the AHA.
- Government issued Photo Identification.
- Certificate of MICN Course Completion in California approved by the local EMS agency.
a) If course is attended outside of Sacramento County, the MICN shall attend the Sacramento County EMS Agency Policy/Protocol Review Class and /or successfully complete the MICN exam with a SCEMSA accredited MICN course.
- Evidence of a minimum of six months experience on Department Letterhead endorsed by the Manager or Pre-Hospital Care Coordinator as a RN within the emergency department of a Sacramento County Base hospital.
- Documentation of at least 8 hours of Ride-a-long time, must include at least two (2) patient contacts in which the patient is assessed. If two (2) patient contacts are not completed, two (2) ALS scenarios will be conducted by the Paramedic within the eight (8) hour observation period.
a) If a candidate has a valid MICN certification from another county, provide proof of completion of an Advanced Life Support (ALS) emergency response vehicle observation experience consisting of direct observation of at least four (4) hours, which must include at least two (2) patient contacts in which the patient is assessed.
- Upload a passport type (2x2) professional photo of yourself or come to SCEMSA during counter hours and staff will take your photo for the SCEMSA Certification card.